Monday, March 30, 2009

Pricing - Wheaten

OK, the pricing. I didn't have a set formula. Everytime I've ever seen Wheatens listed in the paper, they've been $850 and you don't know how they were raised. When i got on the Internet and saw some cheaper, i looked into it and believe that mine are better quality, raised with a lot of extra input, etc. So, i was kinda going for a middle, but with some compensation for all we put into them. Additionally, i didn't want careless breeders to buy one of my dogs because it was cheaper. I want each one mine to go to home where the people have every intention of keeping them as a family pet their whole life.

Wheaten puppies are $750, with males and females being the same price. Generally, people that price females higher have a 'puppy mill' mentality. My Wheaten puppies are ACA registered and nice quality, but not 'show' dogs. I have been fortunate to have very healthy lines that do not have any of the illnesses to which Wheatens are predisposed (ie, skin allergies and protein wasting). Even though (or because) there is no history of illness, I do include a 1 year health guarantee against any congenital or genetic defects that states that i will refund the price of the dog if that were to occur. I have not had any puppies micro chipped because i assume that if a person is interested, they would speak directly with their vet. If that is something you would like me to have done, that is certainly possible. The cost would be just the amount the vet would charge and the cost to register the ID number/pet with the service. Dew claw removal and tail docking is always done and already included in the cost of the puppy.

I do understand that sometimes life changes and you can't keep the dog for whatever reason. Included in the contract is the fact that I'm willing (even request) that the dog be returned to me no matter what or how long it has been. I will even refund your money when the dog has been placed in another home. This has happened once, and the waiting period was surprisingly short.

You can reserve your puppy for a small deposit in the amount of your choice, but the deposit is non-refundable. After you send the deposit, you can then make payments or wait until the puppy is ready to go to pay the balance. If you are the first person to send a deposit and you want a female, then you get first pick of the females. I generally like people to make their selection by 5 or 6 weeks of age. This gives the puppy time to develop a personality, but doesn't keep all the people in line behind you waiting for too long. There is no extra charge for me to hold the puppy a few more weeks, and in fact, i will work on some extras like leash training, etc. I only ask that the puppy is paid for in full by 8 weeks of age.

Shipping anywhere in the continental united states is fairly easy. I have actually shipped a puppy to New Hampshire for an anniversary (or wife's birthday?) present on a 1 day notice, so last minute arrangements are possible, though not my preference. As far as airlines, I have used American Airlines and Delta. My preference is generally Delta, but it depends on your location and the availability of flights. I try to book direct flights that will arrive at a time that allows for convenience on both ends while keeping the puppy safe and comfortable. If you have a specific day that you want the puppy to arrive, like a birthday ;-), i can probably arrange it with enough advance notice. I'm not sure of the exact price, but last spring it was ~ $275. As we get closer to the date, or if you decide you definitely want one of our puppies, i can get a more accurate price.

This is my pricing disclaimer: All prices are subject to change for any reason (or no reason). The price of the puppy may vary per litter, the shipping cost will be dependent on airlines and gasoline, or I may end up charging a small fee for
keeping the puppy extra time (I've never charged before, I'm just sayin' I might in the future). That's about it - that wasn't too bad.

Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.

No comments: